How cute is this Christmas fairy tern. Unfortunately they won’t be as easy to spot this summer, given that there’s only 31 of them.
- Leave the dog at home/don’t take it to the beach, or at least have it on a leash.
- Stay out of taped-off nesting areas, and don’t linger while parent birds are doing distraction displays or appear agitated – while they are preoccupied with you they are not tending to their eggs or chicks.
- Fishermen should bury their scraps to avoid feeding and attracting black-backed gulls.
- Walk below the high tide mark, to avoid standing on nests, which are higher up on the beach.
- Motorbikes and four-wheel drives on beaches are not good for shorebirds, and prohibited in many places anyway.
- Keep away from birds doing dive-bombs cause that means they’re agitated.